Candles Suspected In Fatal Saginaw House Fire 8-30-2010 - WNEM TV 5

Candles Suspected In Fatal Saginaw House Fire 8-30-2010

Saginaw firefighters said candles burning in a house without electrical service may have started a fire that killed a man.
James Wyrick, 23, died in the fire that was discovered about 6:30 a.m. Sunday. Wyrick was pronounced dead at the scene.
The fire department suspects candles caused the fire on the city's south side but says an exact cause hasn't been determined.
Reports say investigators did not find any smoke detectors in the home.
Wyrick leaves behind a 1-year-old child.
TV5 learned the property owner said he was renting to a Section 8 tenant. He's required to have smoke detectors by law, and in fact he says he's changed the batteries in them before.
That's when TV5 went to see what the rules are set by the Saginaw Housing Commission, which sends out inspectors every year.
They say they have a 24-hour code. Apartment owners must have smoke detectors up and working in 24 hours after an inspection and if not, they are required to fix the problem.
If not, they are not to be leasing to Section 8 renters.

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.