Gas Smell Prompts Evacuation Of McDonald's 1-06-2011 - WNEM TV 5

Gas Smell Prompts Evacuation Of McDonald's 1-06-2011

Emergency responders were called Thursday afternoon about a natural gas leak at the McDonald’s restaurant on Gratiot Road near Miller Road in Saginaw County’s Thomas Township.
The McDonald’s thought they had a leak, called 911 and promptly evacuated restaurant.
Upon further investigation, it was determined that Consumers Energy was adding that rotten egg smell to a gas line at a nearby distribution station.
Consumers workers physically poured or injected the chemical to the gas line so users know if they have a gas leak. Natural gas is odorless otherwise.
The Thomas Township fire department was able to notify central dispatch to alert nearby businesses and residents that there was no danger.
This is part of a new system residents in Saginaw County can sign up for by calling 877-670-3330 or logging on to www.saginawcounty911.com.
The fire department said that Consumers routinely does this smell addition and will probably be doing it again next week.
Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.