LANSING, Mich. (AP) - Michigan says it has removed about 30,000 college students from its food assistance program since it began enforcing federal guidelines this spring.
Michigan Department of Human Services Director Maura Corrigan tells The Detroit News for a story published Monday (http://bit.ly/mRub2t ) that's about twice as many as officials expected and it's expected to bring about $75 million a year in savings.
The state earlier announced that beginning in April students must show "true need" to reap benefits from the program.
Officials say Michigan previously had created its own rules that made nearly all students eligible for aid that's commonly known as food stamps.
Corrigan says it's part of an effort to change the culture of the state's welfare department and slash tens of millions of dollars of waste, fraud and abuse.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.