Michigan plans appeal of welfare cutoff ruling - WNEM TV 5

Michigan plans appeal of welfare cutoff ruling

LANSING, Mich. (AP) - The Michigan Department of Human Services is appealing a ruling that the state can't take away welfare benefits under a 5-year federal limit if recipients still qualify for cash assistance under state law.

Genesee County Circuit Court Judge Geoffrey Neithercut said in his ruling Tuesday that state DHS director Maura Corrigan "exceeded her authority" by ending benefits for more than 11,000 families last October because they had reached the federal limit even though they remained eligible under state limits.

In a statement issued late Wednesday, DHS said it planned an appeal and would seek a stay of the judge's order while the appeal process takes place.

Michigan lawmakers in 2007 adopted a 4-year limit that had several exceptions, then approved stricter enforcement last year.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.