One of Michigan's most popular private schools ushered in a new era on Sunday.
Hundreds of people watched as Powers Catholic High School broke ground for their new school on the campus of Michigan School for the Deaf, located at 1505 West Court St. in Flint.
The 97-year-old Fay Hill Building will be renovated into the new school, and the 150,000 square foot campus will cost $36 million to complete.
Those on hand for the ceremony included The Most Reverend Earl Boyea, Bishop of the Diocese of Lansing, who presided over the ceremony.
Also in attendance were Flint Mayor Dayne Walling, State Representative Woodrow Stanley and other community leaders.
The new school will open for the fall 2013 school year.
Copyright WNEM 2012 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.