KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP) - Authorities say a public safety officer in southwestern Michigan saved a choking sandwich shop employee who tried to swallow six pieces of Italian meat.
Kalamazoo Public Safety says the man ate a handful of meat Wednesday at Jimmy John's night in a dare with a co-worker.
But store general manager Sean Callahan tells MLive.com he believes that hunger -- not a dare -- led the employee to stuff the meat in his mouth.
Officers responded and found the 22-year-old employee unresponsive on the floor with a blue face. The man's co-workers had tried the Heimlich maneuver without success, so Officer Keaton Nielsen dislodged the obstruction.
The employee still was unresponsive, so the department says Nielsen administered breathing assistance for about a minute until the man was able to breathe.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.