State's Historical Commission approves 11 new historical markers
SAGINAW, MI (WNEM) -
A rare type of bridge built by a master engineer, the site of a one-room schoolhouse founded by a former slave and his wife, and a lighthouse tower built 135 years ago are among the subjects of 11 new Michigan State Historical Markers approved by the Michigan Historical Commission at its Sept. 20 meeting.
The new markers will be added to more than 1,700 familiar green-and-gold signs found across Michigan and in a growing number of out-of-state locations. They include:
· "Erwin Central School" (Gogebic County)
· "Hannah and Lay Mercantile Building" (Traverse City)
· "Lakeville Cemetery" (Leonard, Oakland County)
· "St. Phillip Roman Catholic Church" (Battle Creek)
· "Pine Island Drive Bridge" (Kent County)
· "St. John Lutheran of Amelith" and "Amelith" (Bay City)
· "Jeffers Park" (Saginaw)
· "Little River School House" and "Isaac and Lucy Berry" (Mecosta County)
· "Petite Pointe Au Sable Lighthouse" (Oceana County)
· "The Interurban" (Marshall)
· "Rackham Golf Course" (Oakland County)
Since 1955, the Michigan Historical Marker program has chronicled the people, places and events that make Michigan's heritage unique and unforgettable.
Each is a tangible reminder of where we have come from and an inspiration for where we might go.
Individual and organizational sponsors nominate the markers and purchase them once the text and location are approved by the commission.
Professional historians at the Michigan Historical Center draft the text, working with the sponsors, and make recommendations for approval by the commission at its regular meetings.
The final step in the process is the purchase and dedication of the markers by their local sponsors. For more information on the historical marker program, including application information, visit www.michigan.gov/markers
Copyright 2012 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:11 AM EDT2014-07-29 14:11:15 GMT
Shocking video of a young man who was beaten and robbed in broad daylight has gone viral, and it's all part of a disturbing trend. A handicapped man was beaten and robbed on the street while the wholeMore >
Shocking video of a young man who was beaten and robbed in broad daylight has gone viral, and it's all part of a disturbing trend.More >