TV5 Follow-Up: Squirrel dinner prep may cost cooker $10,000 - WNEM TV 5

TV5 Follow-Up: Squirrel dinner prep may cost cooker $10,000

Posted: Updated:
Not the actual squirrel in question. Not the actual squirrel in question.
HOLLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) -

Damage from a southwest Michigan apartment complex fire believed to have been sparked by a resident trying to cook a squirrel with a propane torch is estimated at $1.4 million.

Debra Spohn, senior vice president of the apartment complex's parent company, tells The Holland Sentinel (http://bit.ly/PsWoVs) that the company plans to hold the former resident involved responsible for the building's $10,000 insurance deductible. She says cooking isn't allowed on outside patios.

Officials have said the resident apparently planned to eat the animal and was burning off its fur on a third-floor deck at the building in Ottawa County's Holland Township when the fire broke out Oct. 10. Investigators said the blaze was ruled accidental.

A responding firefighter broke a toe. No residents were injured. The fire displaced 29 families.

------

Information from: The Holland Sentinel, http://www.thehollandsentinel.com

Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.