Sincere Smith with his father Rondell Smith (Source: Sincere Smith's family)
Sincere Smith (Source: Sincere Smith's family)
SC (WMBF) – A Conway man pleaded guilty Thursday to involuntary manslaughter
for the death of his two-year-old son, who accidentally shot himself on
Christmas Day 2012.
Sincere Smith, who would have turned three in March, was shot on
Daisy Lane at around 6 p.m. Christmas Day.
According to court documents, 30-year-old Rondell Jovan Smith left
a loaded firearm unattended in the home, and Sincere Smith accidentally fired a
single round into his torso. The child was transported to Grand Strand Regional
center where he later died.
Sgt. Robert Kegler, spokesman for the Horry County Police Dept., said
the gun, which was sitting on a table when the child grabbed it, belonged Rondell
Jovan Smith of Conway.
Smith was charged with involuntary manslaughter. He was released
from J. Reuben Long Detention Center in January with a $500 personal
On August 8, 2013, Smith pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter,
which is a felony offense punishable by up to five years in prison. Because
this offense involves a child and carries a five-year penalty, Smith may be
entered into the state's Central Registry for Child Abuse and Neglect, and his
DNA may remain in the database for the rest of his life.
The family said Smith is a good father, and only had the gun after he had concerns about his neighborhood.
Neighbors who live near Daisy Lane said the accidental shooting could have been prevented.
"I'm shocked that a baby got killed on Christmas. We just had people do a shootout in school in Newark, [Newton] Connecticut and kill a bunch of people and that's crazy. I mean people shouldn't have guns if they're not gonna have them locked up," Steve Nelson said.
"People should have a right to have guns. It's up to the people in making sure they're safe. I'm a firm believer on this. There's no reason why somebody can't go out and hunt and then lock their gun up. It's people who are being stupid and leaving things like that laying around. A child should've never gotten it. And that's the bottom line," Luci Robbins said.
Friday, August 22 2014 10:04 AM EDT2014-08-22 14:04:57 GMT
A charity stunt that has grown into a social media phenomenon went terribly wrong for four Kentucky firefighters when a fire truck's ladder got too close to a power line after they dumped water on college...More >
A charity stunt that has grown into a social media phenomenon went terribly wrong for four Kentucky firefighters when a fire truck's ladder got too close to a power line after they dumped water on college students who...More >
A fisherman off the coast of Bonita Springs, Florida thinks he has a pretty nice catch. As he reels in a four-foot shark, his catch is stolen by an even bigger fish. A massive grouper pulls the sharkMore >
A massive grouper steals a four-foot shark from a fisherman's line off the coast of Florida.More >
ObitMichigan.com is dedicated to delivering immediate, up-to-date information on obituaries 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to families and friends in Mid-Michigan. Death notices are displayed during theMore >
ObitMichigan.com is dedicated to delivering immediate, up-to-date information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to families and friends who have lost loved ones.More >