Fire crews responded to the scene of a fire that broke Thursday morning at McBrite Manor in Saginaw Township.
The senior living center is at 2825 Wieneke Rd., just south of Shattuck Road.
Officials were forced to evacuate the building but people have been allowed back inside at this time. Some residents have been forced to relocate because of damage sustained to their apartments. About 80 seniors live at the center.
Multiple fire departments responded to the scene. It is believed the fire started in the north end hallway of the building inside of a bird cage. Fire officials believe the cause of the blaze could be electrical.
"We had approximately 40 firefighters on scene that assisted with that evacuation too, so things went very, very well," said Saginaw Township Fire Chief Jim Peterson.
Officials said most of the damage to the building is smoke-related. No one was injured or taken to the hospital.
WNEM will continue to follow this story and provide more information as it becomes available.
Copyright 2013 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
ObitMichigan.com is dedicated to delivering immediate, up-to-date information on obituaries 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to families and friends in Mid-Michigan. Death notices are displayed during theMore >
ObitMichigan.com is dedicated to delivering immediate, up-to-date information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to families and friends who have lost loved ones.More >
Friday, August 29 2014 10:05 AM EDT2014-08-29 14:05:45 GMT
The unofficial end of Summer is once again upon us, and while many of us are certainly looking forward to it, you make also be asking yourself where all the time went this Summer. Whether you will beMore >
The unofficial end of Summer is once again upon us, and while many of us are certainly looking forward to it, you make also be asking yourself where all the time went this Summer.More >