Trevor Thompson's a very lucky man.
The 22-year-old college student woke up a few weeks ago starting his normal morning ritual, but while making coffee he thought he got a shock from the pot.
He got a shock alright.
His roommates got worried and did what college students do, they got online and started researching symptoms.
Stroke came up as a possible cause, but Trevor's only 22 and they laughed it off for a moment then felt maybe they should take their friend to the hospital.
"From the onset we thought that this wasn't that serious." said Alasdair Whitney, Thompson's roommate. "The doctors came out and said look his chances of making it through are pretty slim, then we knew we'd made the right call to bring him in."
Doctors at Sparrow Hospital in Lansing aren't used to seeing a stroke in a seemingly health 22-year-old and to complicate matters more he wasn't responding to normal stroke treatment.
"We were able to put a catheter up in his brain and remove the clot." said Dr. Jody Short, Interventional Neurologist Sparrow Hospital. "Restoring blood flow to the back of his brain and preserving a lot of function."
Doctors in the stroke unit at Sparrow Hospital say that tag line is really true.
Time loss is brain loss.
Copyright WNEM 2013 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.