Under new deficit-busting plan, B.V schools may reopen
BUENA VISTA TOWNSHIP, MI (WNEM) -
The school year may not be officially over for students in the Buena Vista district after all.
In another twist to the Buena Vista School District financial crisis, classes could resume as early as this week if the Buena Vista school board approved its deficit-elimination plan.
If the Buena Vista School Board approves the latest rendition tonight at 6 p.m., the State Superintendent of Education could approve the plan as early as Wednesday morning and classes could resume sometime this week.
The district laid off its teachers and all but three employees last Tuesday. It said it wouldn't make payroll because the state is withholding funding to recoup $580,000 after the school district failed to notify the state that it didn't operate an incarcerated youth program anymore.
Under Michigan law, schools can't receive state aid if they don't have an approved deficit plan.
If Flanagan approves the plan Wednesday, funding would be released and classes would resume.
On Monday, Flanagan and Buena Vista school officials announced a special camp for students as a temporary measure. Flanagan told TV5 the camp idea was only a backup plan until the deficit elimination plan was hammered out.
Stay with WNEM on air and online as we learn more about this developing story.
Copyright 2013 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Do you think this breakthrough between the state and B.V. schools means the district's problems are over?
Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far:
Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >