Last Monday began as a normal day on the job for Aero Communications technician Ken Tester. But as he installed cable at Debbie Florey's house in Midland County, that's when the unthinkable happened.
As he was busy working, Florey's 2-year-old grandson Silas Florey began choking on a piece of candy.
Florey tried to get the candy out of her grandson's mouth.
"I tried twice to bend him over my knee and hit him on the back like you're supposed to but it would not dislodge," said Florey.
Tester heard Florey screaming for someone to call 911, but he says he saw the boy turn blue and thought it would be too late to wait for the paramedics to arrive. Tester says he relied on his instincts to rush over and help the little boy.
"I just wanted to take care of her grandson," he said. "If it had been my son, I hoped somebody would have helped too."
Florey says it was Tester's quick actions that saved her grandson's life. She says she cannot thank Tester enough for his act of bravery.
"Nobody asked him to do it, he just did it. Most people would have been afraid to touch somebody else's child but not Ken, he jumped right in there and saved his life," said Florey.
Tester does not consider himself to be a hero, he says he hopes other people would have done the same thing that he did.
"I'm just an ordinary person that would have done the same thing for anybody else," said Tester.
Copyright 2013 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Wednesday, August 27 2014 2:48 AM EDT2014-08-27 06:48:05 GMT
Utah authorities have arrested a 23-year-old woman who they say dumped her newborn baby in a neighbor's trash can.More >
A Utah woman accused of dumping her day-old baby in a neighbor's trash can told police she was afraid to tell her parents about the pregnancy and hoped the newborn's death would solve her problems, a probable cause...More >