Thursday, July 25 2013 7:25 AM EDT2013-07-25 11:25:53 GMT
Newtown residents have approved spending $750,000 in state grant money to begin work on replacing the school where 26 people were shot to death in December. The News Times of Danbury reports an overflowMore >
Newtown residents have approved spending $750,000 in grant money from the state of Connecticut to begin work on replacing the school where 26 people were shot to death in December.More >
NEWTOWN, CT (WFSB) -
The Connecticut State Bond Commission approved $3.7 million Friday morning, which will be used to help build a replacement for Sandy Hook Elementary School.
On May 10, a Newtown panel recommended tearing down Sandy Hook Elementary School and rebuilding a new school on the same site.
The new address for the school will be 12 Riverside Dr. with the old road being turned into a gravel access road and decommissioned.
Earlier this week, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said he pledged his full spport toward the project.
"Healing from an enormous tragedy like this is never easy. There are no simple answers, and the challenges are many. With strong resolve and a determination to move forward, we can do our best to support the people of Newtown," Malloy said in a previous statement.
Malloy said that the funding is being made available now to help the project, still in its early stages, to begin moving forward as fast as possible.
On Dec. 14, 20 first-graders and six adults were shot and killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
A townwide referendum on the project will be held on Oct. 5 from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. at Newtown Middle School on Queen Street.
"Shall the $49,250,000 special appropriation for architectural and engineering services for the design of a new elementary school in Sandy Hook, demolition of existing school and for the construction of said school and the acquisition of two parcels of land for the purpose of relocating the entrance of said school, said special appropriation to be funded by a grant from the State of Connecticut, be approved," the referendum question reads.
If approved, the 56-year-old school would be demolished sometime in November, according to the town's website.
For the current school year, the students that would have attended Sandy Hook are attending a school renovated just for them in the neighboring town of Monroe.
For more information about the referendum, click here.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Tuesday, September 16 2014 7:31 AM EDT2014-09-16 11:31:48 GMT
(WMC) - A teen who pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the shooting death of this 10-year-old sister will serve several years in a Tennessee Department of Corrections Youth Facility. The teen, whoMore >
A teen who pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the shooting death of his 10-year-old sister will serve several years in a Tennessee Department of Corrections Youth Facility.More >
ObitMichigan.com is dedicated to delivering immediate, up-to-date information on obituaries 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to families and friends in Mid-Michigan. Death notices are displayed during theMore >
ObitMichigan.com is dedicated to delivering immediate, up-to-date information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to families and friends who have lost loved ones.More >