The Saginaw Fire Department is celebrating National Fire Prevention Week by spreading the word about how to stop fires from happening in your home.
Ralph Martin, Fire Marshal, says the kitchen is the place where most house fires start. He recommends residents stay in the kitchen every time they cook food.
Martin also recommends people learn how to properly use a fire extinguisher.
"Just remember the acronym P.A.S.S. which stands for Pull, Aim, Squeeze, Sweep," said Ralph Martin.
However, Martin also says people need to know when to call for help.
"Anytime you question whether a fire is too big for you to put out by yourself, call 9-1-1," said Martin.
The Saginaw Fire Department also stresses the importance of having working smoke detectors in your home. The department is providing new smoke detectors to residents in the city of Saginaw for free if they are in need of one.
Copyright 2013 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.