Legislation passed by the Michigan Senate in Lansing would require registered sex offenders to pay an annual fee to help maintain the state's sex offender registry.
Senate Bill 221's sponsor, state Sen. Rick Jones, said it is ready for the governor's signature.
"These are people who committed crimes," said Jones, R-Grand Ledge. "I do not believe that the hardworking taxpayers in Michigan should foot the bill for a registry of crimes they did not commit."
In a news release on Thursday, Jones cited other states such as Indiana, which charges $50 per year for a similar registry, and Illinois and Ohio, which charge $100 per year.
Currently, Jones stated the cost of maintaining the Sex Offender Registry database in Michigan is funded through a one-time $50 registration fee for offenders, even though the majority of offenders register for 25 years to life.
Jones stated in the release that during the past five years, the money collected from this one-time fee is less than 10 percent of the cost of maintaining the registry. Jones noted that as a result, law enforcement must divert taxpayer dollars that should be spent on putting more police officers on the streets.
"Sex offenders can afford to pay a dollar or two per week to pay for the list," Jones said. "Taxpayers should not have to be burdened with this cost. The offenders should support this list as they do in neighboring states."
Stay with WNEM.com and TV5 as we continue to follow this story.
Copyright 2013 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Do you like the idea of having convicted sex offenders pay a yearly fee to keep themselves on the sex offender registry?
Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far:
ObitMichigan.com is dedicated to delivering immediate, up-to-date information on obituaries 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to families and friends in Mid-Michigan. Death notices are displayed during theMore >
ObitMichigan.com is dedicated to delivering immediate, up-to-date information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to families and friends who have lost loved ones.More >
Friday, July 18 2014 3:26 PM EDT2014-07-18 19:26:33 GMT
It's been an extremely difficult day for family and friends as well as officers. So many people were crying, upset as the body of 5-year-old Janaya Thompson was removed from an abandoned trailer.More >
It's been an extremely difficult day for family and friends as well as officers. So many people were crying, upset as the body of 5-year-old Janaya Thompson was removed from an abandoned trailer. Coroner Gary Hargrove said Janaya's body was found in a bathroom.More >
Monday, July 21 2014 6:53 PM EDT2014-07-21 22:53:58 GMT
Current NBC analyst and former head coach of the Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tony Dungy stated that if he were still a NFL head coach, he wouldn't of drafted Michael Sam. Sam is the firstMore >
Current NBC analyst and former head coach of the Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tony Dungy stated that if he were still a NFL head coach, he wouldn't of drafted Michael Sam.More >