Detroit teen shocked by wire dies in hospital - WNEM TV 5

Detroit teen shocked by wire dies in hospital

Posted: Updated:
ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -

A Detroit boy electrocuted by a downed power line has died at a hospital in Ann Arbor.

The Washtenaw County Medical Examiner's Office said Monday that 14-year-old Malik Shelton died on Saturday. Shelton was taken to Detroit's Sinai-Grace Hospital last Monday and later moved to the University of Michigan's C.S. Mott Children's Hospital.

The teen was hurt when he touched the wire after leaving his school in Detroit. Classes were canceled due to a power outage following a severe storm that struck the state.

The boy's friends and the school principal rushed to help him after he was shocked by the wire.

A University of Michigan Health System spokeswoman confirmed Shelton's death.

Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.