A 7-year-old boy is being hailed as a hero for saving his family from a fire.
Damarion Scott woke up two other family members inside his home near 42nd Street and Douglas Avenue after he smelled smoke and saw a space heater on fire.
The house was destroyed, but the people living there survived because of the little boy with a good nose.
"The space heater caught on fire, and next I woke up because of the smoke. It went up my nose," Damarion said.
He was sleeping on the sofa and immediately alerted the two adults babysitting him while his mom is in the hospital.
"What did you say to the family whenever you woke up?" KCTV5 asked him.
"Good Morning," Damarion replied.
"And then what did you tell them?" KCTV5 asked.
"The house is on fire," he said.
A woman who lived in the home ran up the street to a neighbor's house to make a 911 call shortly after 4 a.m. Thursday.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, the entire house was engulfed in flames. Fire investigators estimated the loss at $65,000.
The fire spread so quickly, it damaged five vehicles and one jet ski, worth about $30,000, on the semi-rural property.
"The fire got big and big, and I found my Uncle James. (He) went in for a long time. I thought he was going to be dead," Damarion said.
Instead "Uncle" James and "Aunt" Janelle, close friends of his mom, weren't even burned.
"How did you feel when you found out he was okay?" KCTV5 asked.
"Happy," Damarion exclaimed.
They too are happy and are calling the boy a hero.
Damarion said one of their family dogs died in the fire.
Four other children, ages 10, 13, 14, 15, were not at home during the time of the fire. They had spent the night with relatives.
Investigators have not said for sure how the fire started. The Red Cross is helping the displaced family.
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Taco Bell is offering an unusual contest prize: a "lifetime" of free food at its restaurants.