Twenty-one people went to the hospital and 180 other guests were evacuated from the Wyndham hotel after a carbon monoxide leak Saturday morning.
According to Fire Lieutenant Larry Gray, the Cleveland fire department responded to the call for a carbon monoxide leak at 9:30 a.m.
When they arrived, firefighters found the level of carbon monoxide was high enough to evacuate 180 guests to the first floor where it was safe.
Dominion East Ohio also responded to the leak and confirmed there was an issue with the boiling system.
Several guests suffered from nausea and dizziness—common symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure.
Nineteen guests, ranging in age from 9 months to 66-years, were transported to the hospital.
Two guests drove themselves to the hospital for treatment.
Guests were permitted to return to their rooms at 2 p.m.
The Wyndam Hotel has not released a statement.
One family's weekend getaway was cut short because they say they had to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.
For Andrea Bucey-Tikkanen of Hudson, a weekend that was supposed to be full of good old fashioned Cleveland Christmas Fun turned into a huge headache - literally.
"I feel as if something went wrong," says Bucey-Tikkanen.
It all started with a strange smell inside the family's hotel room as well as in their hallway at the Wyndham. The odor was so bad that Andrea called the front desk not once but twice.
"To us, it smelled like natural gas, and that's what we told the front desk."
Later, Andrea says they were told an engineer had analyzed and identified the smell as a sewer odor that was said to not be toxic or hazardous. The next morning Andrea's husband and daughter woke up with headaches. A short time after that, the hotel was evacuated.
"We watched a man and a five year old boy enter an ambulance."
And then Andrea's family ended up at the hospital too.
"We were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, spent about five hours with oxygen."
The family was then released from the hospital.
Andrea says what disappoints her and her husband most is that no one has called from the Wyndham to ask how they are doing.
Still, they're thankful things didn't turn out worse.
"We feel better. Our concern is: what if we had no woken up?"
The Wyndham hasn't released a statement about the incident.
ObitMichigan.com is dedicated to delivering immediate, up-to-date information on obituaries 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to families and friends in Mid-Michigan. Death notices are displayed during theMore >
ObitMichigan.com is dedicated to delivering immediate, up-to-date information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to families and friends who have lost loved ones.More >
Friday, July 18 2014 3:26 PM EDT2014-07-18 19:26:33 GMT
It's been an extremely difficult day for family and friends as well as officers. So many people were crying, upset as the body of 5-year-old Janaya Thompson was removed from an abandoned trailer.More >
It's been an extremely difficult day for family and friends as well as officers. So many people were crying, upset as the body of 5-year-old Janaya Thompson was removed from an abandoned trailer. Coroner Gary Hargrove said Janaya's body was found in a bathroom.More >
Monday, July 21 2014 6:53 PM EDT2014-07-21 22:53:58 GMT
Current NBC analyst and former head coach of the Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tony Dungy stated that if he were still a NFL head coach, he wouldn't of drafted Michael Sam. Sam is the firstMore >
Current NBC analyst and former head coach of the Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tony Dungy stated that if he were still a NFL head coach, he wouldn't of drafted Michael Sam.More >