A teenage girl was fatally electrocuted outside her home on Christopher Lane in Anderson County Thursday night, according to Anderson County Coroner Greg Shore.
Shore has identified the victim as 16-year-old Emily Donald.
Shore said the power went off inside Donald's home. She then thought she saw a fire outside and went to see. The coroner said when she stepped outside, she somehow came in contact with the power line.
Terry Ballenger with Blue Ridge Co-op said a squirrel came in contact with the electric wire, causing the pole to catch fire. He said the wire eventually came loose and was still energized with 7,200 volts when it was on the ground.
The Anderson Fire Department and Anderson Sheriff's Department responded to the scene and found the teenager on the ground.
Shore said they are still investigating how Donald came in contact with the power line.
Copyright 2014 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
ObitMichigan.com is dedicated to delivering immediate, up-to-date information on obituaries 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to families and friends in Mid-Michigan. Death notices are displayed during theMore >
ObitMichigan.com is dedicated to delivering immediate, up-to-date information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to families and friends who have lost loved ones.More >
Saturday, August 30 2014 12:22 AM EDT2014-08-30 04:22:48 GMT
Tony Stewart should be back in his comfort zone at a NASCAR track, ready for racing.More >
Tony Stewart took his seat on the podium - unshaven, his eyes glassy - and unfolded a sheet of paper. His voice quivered as he read, pausing to maintain his composure as he described the death of a driver he hit as "one of...More >