Tuesday, January 14 2014 7:12 AM EST2014-01-14 12:12:37 GMT
TV5 has new details on Flint's first homicide of the year. Police have identified the victim as 21-year-old Dericko Carter. Dericko was killed when his vehicle was shot at by a suspect in another vehicle.More >
TV5 has new details on Flint's first homicide of the year.More >
FLINT, MI (AP) -
A 21-year-old Detroit man has been convicted of first-degree murder in the 2012 fatal shootings of three people during a Flint house party.
Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said in a statement he's pleased with the outcome of the case against James P. Simpkins. The verdict was returned Wednesday. Simpkins faces mandatory life in prison without parole when sentenced Feb. 6.
A message seeking comment was sent to Simpkins' lawyer.
Simpkins was arrested after the July 2012 shootings. He had called police to report that he had been assaulted.
Prosecutors have said teasing may have preceded the shootings.
Those killed in the attack were identified as his brother 21-year-old Anthony Simpkins, 36-year-old Bobby Jackson and 21-year-old Erica Billingsly.
The surviving victim, a 20-year-old Detroit woman, helped lead police to Simpkins.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Detroit man convicted in 3 Flint shooting deathsMore>>