Authorities: Smoking caused fatal Flint-area fire - WNEM TV 5

UPDATE

Authorities: Smoking caused fatal Flint-area fire

Posted: Updated:
FLINT TOWNSHIP, MI (WNEM) -

New details have been released in connection to the house fire that killed a woman and hospitalized three others.

Charles Hughes was released from Hurley Medical Center Thursday.

Hughes ran into the burning home and saves two young boys, who remain in critical condition as of Friday morning.

The blaze happened early Wednesday morning at a home on the 1100 block of Lask Drive, just off of Beecher Road. State police fire investigator Sgt. Lenny Jaskulka tells The Flint Journal that Monday's fire in Grand Blanc was the result of "careless discard of smoking materials."

Jaskulka says it appears that Lois Edwards was smoking in a room in the northeast corner of the home when a couch caught fire.

Jaskulka says Edwards, who was found collapsed in a bathroom, likely was unable to get out of the home after trying to put out the fire herself.

It took nearly 20 firefighters to get the blaze under control. Mt. Morris, Flushing and Flint Township fire crews battled the blaze.

His fiance, Tiffany Dorman, was found dead inside the house.

Hughes' aunt says he was at work when he got a call that the house was burning.

Diana Hughes says her nephew rushed home and climbed through a bedroom window to rescue the boys. She says he tried but failed to find Dorfman in the burning building.

Most of the home is completely destroyed.

There is a fund to help the family with medical and funeral costs. The Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in Fenton will take donations, both money and other items.

You can also donate on this website, tiffanydorman.org.

Copyright 2014 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.