There was another meeting for the Saginaw School Board and yet another deficit elimination plan. Tuesday night, the board was expected to put the final stamp on the plan they sent to the state last month. Instead, Superintendent Carlton Jenkins presented a re-designed plan.
The plan, for the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 school years, would cut the district's budget by more than $10 million. It calls for closing Heavenrich Elementary, Houghton Elementary, Ruben Daniels Middle School and a staff development center. Merill Park Elementary would remain open.
The plan also calls for Arthur Eddy Academy to be re-opened. Many like board member Rudy Patterson were taken aback to hear the plan to re-open Arthur Eddy. The school was closed last year against the wishes of many students, parents and staff.
"We said to them on March 20 last year don't close it because of this. Don't close it because of that. Now, they come back with the same thing that we told them not to close it and using it against us to sell us to open it," said Patterson.
Jenkins says the plan will stabilize elementary schools in the district for the next 10 years. The plan was approved with a vote of 4-3. Now, it has to be submitted to and approved by the state.
Copyright 2014 WNEM (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:11 AM EDT2014-07-29 14:11:15 GMT
Shocking video of a young man who was beaten and robbed in broad daylight has gone viral, and it's all part of a disturbing trend. A handicapped man was beaten and robbed on the street while the wholeMore >
Shocking video of a young man who was beaten and robbed in broad daylight has gone viral, and it's all part of a disturbing trend.More >