Woman tells of cosmetic nightmare - WNEM TV 5

Woman tells of cosmetic nightmare

Posted: Updated:

A Cobb County woman says she was horribly disfigured just days before her wedding after undergoing liposuction at a Kennesaw med spa.

"This was all burned," Dierdre Mowry told consumer investigative reporter Adam Murphy. "You can see where they've just done treatment. I didn't have any feeling in this whole area," said Mowry.

Mowry went in for cosmetic surgery six weeks before her dream wedding in 2008. The liposuction procedure soon became her worst nightmare. She says her skin was so severely burned that it destroyed her belly button.

"That's what I'm left with," Mowry said, pointing to pictures of her stomach that show no sign of a belly button.

"When she did liposuction she was very violent with the cannula," said a woman who used to work for Dodds. "It was disturbing to watch," she added.

The woman, who did not want to be identified, wasn't present for Mowry's surgery but did work for the doctor who did the procedure. She says she was extremely disturbed by the quality of care provided at the clinic.

"In the operating room when they did fat transfers they threw fat in bags and just threw them in the freezer, so there have been cases where people got fat that did not belong to them," said the worker.

"I had to go back the next morning for another procedure," said Mowry, "and when I went in there I remember looking at the gurney and there was a little table next to it. And it had my fat and blood sitting in it with a wash cloth just covering over it and that's how she did things."

The doctor who performed the procedure is Nedra Dodds. CBS46 has been investigating her practice for nearly a year after two women died following liposuction.

"Patients are in twilight for liposuction, which means they're not fully unconscious, and patients woke up every single time screaming bloody murder in pain," said the former worker.

The worker said the entire environment at the clinic was toxic. She provided us with photos of what she says were employees drinking in the office.

As for Mowry, she's spent $7,500 on a procedure that she says has left her physically and emotionally scarred for life.

"It will never be normal again," said Mowry about her abdomen. "It's completely ruined and totally scarred."

CBS46 reached out to Dodds for comment, and a spokesperson told us their records do not reflect Mowry's claims. They also said that patient specimens are handled properly and regular state inspections have never revealed any problems.

The state medical board suspended Dodds license in February. The hearing to decide if her license will be permanently revoked is scheduled for June.

Copyright 2014 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.