Homeless man in custody after attempted kidnapping of 7-year-old - WNEM TV 5

Homeless man in custody after attempted kidnapping of 7-year-old

Posted: Updated:
Scene of attempted kidnapping. Scene of attempted kidnapping.
MONROE TOWNSHIP, MI (Toledo News Now) -

A suspect is in custody after attempting to abduct a 7-year-old boy in Monroe County Saturday afternoon.

The Monroe County Sheriff's Office says around 4:30 PM, a group of boys, were riding their bikes to visit a fast food restaurant.

That's when the suspect, an 18-year-old homeless man from the area, met up with the boys and accompanied them to the restaurant.

After eating, the group, including the homeless man, rode their bikes through the wooded lot south of the Kroger shopping plaza on South Monroe St. near Jones Ave.

At that point the suspect grabbed the 7-year-old and tried to pull him into the woods from the paved path they were on.

A 14-year-old boy, who had been with the group earlier, spotted the suspect pulling the boy's arm and intervened, pushing the suspect.

The group was able to flee.

The boys later told their parents, who reported the incident to the authorities.

After an initial search failed to turn up the suspect, he was located on Sunday morning sleeping in a tent.

The suspect was taken to the Monroe County Jail on attempted kidnapping charges.

The Sheriff's Office is asking anyone with information regarding this case to call 734-240-7530.

Follow Toledo News Now:

Copyright 2014 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.