State releases report on Sandy Hook charitable response
By WFSB Staff
NEWTOWN, CT (WFSB) -
The state released a report on the charitable response that occurred after the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
The charitable response after the Dec. 14, 2012 tragedy was "immediate, worldwide and exceptionally generous," and new and existing organizations struggled to manage the high amount of donations.
The report was prepared by the Office of the Attorney General and the Department of Consumer Protection, and tracks and documents the donations received, points out successes and provides a better understanding of how both state charity regulators and the nonprofit sector can better prepare for and respond to future tragedies.
"Each time our state is hit hard by a large-scale emergency or extreme weather related events, we see the best in human nature - that innate impulse and need to help and give during another person's darkest hour," Gov. Dannel Malloy said in a press release.
He added that the report was created to provide a more transparent system of funds that are collected, recorded and distributed to residents following a tragic event.
"This resource is one of the many steps we have taken to demonstrate that we are serious about better serving the public by making state government more transparent, more responsive and more efficient," Malloy said in the release.
The report said 77 organizations provided information in response to the surveys, which served as the basis for the report. Those who responded said they raised over $28 million, all connected to the Sandy Hook tragedy.
Of that $28 million, $15 million had already been distributed at the time of survey responses, and funds that were not spent were reserved by organizations for long-term community needs, like mental health services and more.