Workers pull woman to safety after house explodes - WNEM TV 5

Workers pull woman to safety after house explodes

Posted: Updated:
Homeowner Bill Able thanks utility workers for saving his wife from house fire Homeowner Bill Able thanks utility workers for saving his wife from house fire
Four utility workers who rescued woman Four utility workers who rescued woman

Four utility workers pulled a woman from her burning home after an explosion Friday morning.

Authorities are investigating the house explosion in Kansas City's Northland. The fire apparently started in the garage.

A woman blaring her horn caught the attention of the utility workers who were in the area laying ground. Once they saw the flames, they were able to get the homeowner, Ruth Ann Able, out.

The explosion occurred just before 11 a.m. at 6149 N. Mattox Rd.

The woman's husband, Bill Able, was playing golf when the explosion occurred. He rushed home to be by his wife's side, who was shaken up but OK.

Chris Mitchell, a worker for Frontline Utilities, said they and others tried to get fire extinguishers to help put out the flames. Mitchell said the homeowner initially feared the workers' intentions were sinister when they were pounding on the door.

"She got scared at first," he said. "She slammed the door on us."

She locked the door but the workers were able to convince her that her house was on fire and that they were trying to save her.

"We finally got her out," Mitchell said. "As we were pulling her out, there were explosions going off behind us. It was coming into the dining room area. It was a scary deal."

Ruth Ann Able said she was watching TV in the den and had no idea her house was on fire.

"These guys were like, "Get out of your house, get out of your house,'" she recalled. "They said, 'Ma'am, your house is on fire.'"

There was no one else inside the home and the family didn't have any pets inside the home.

She said one of the blasts singed her hair. Workers and her husband reassured her that she was still beautiful.

The woman thanked the workers and apologized for slamming the door in their faces. She said she thought they were trying to rob her.

Bill Able thanked the firefighters and utility workers for all their efforts. He said they don't know the cause but are grateful that no one was hurt.

"Thank you all again," he told the workers.

Because Ruth Ann Able was OK, she and her husband could joke and laugh with the workers.

"I thought I might bake you an apple pie," Ruth Ann Able said. "These guys are wonderful."

Mitchell said they were glad to get the woman to safety but hate the damage that occurred to the residence.

The fire in the garage did damage part of the house, but firefighters stopped the flames from destroying the entire home.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.