Bourbon Street shooting suspect indicted on lesser charges - WNEM TV 5

Bourbon Street shooting suspect indicted on lesser charges

Updated:

A grand jury on Thursday indicted 20-year-old Trung Le, the alleged Bourbon Street shooter, on one count of manslaughter and one count of attempted second-degree murder.

Le had been charged with one count of first-degree murder and nine counts of attempted first-degree murder stemming from the June 29 shooting that took the life of 21-year-old Hammond resident Brittany Thomas, but those charges were downgraded.

Orleans Parish District Attorney's Office spokesman Christopher Bowman said prosecutors did not ask for indictment on first-degree murder. The office released the following statement:

"Following the arrest of Trung Le by the New Orleans Police Department, the District Attorney's office performed a thorough review of the case with much assistance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Louisiana State Police. While the arrest was based upon a finding of probable cause, the DA's office must possess evidence that proves the charges beyond a reasonable doubt prior to instituting prosecution. Following our review of the evidence, the DA's office sought and obtained an indictment from the Grand Jury for one count of manslaughter and one count of attempted murder. I want to thank both the FBI and the State Police for their hard work and assistance in this ongoing investigation."

Le's attorney could not immediately be reached for comment. Attorney Martin Regan has said there is evidence that Le did not fire the fatal bullet, and that he fired in self-defense after another man aimed a handgun.

Le is the only person arrested so far in the shooting. He has been held without bond.

Copyright 2014 WVUE. All rights reserved.


  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Body found outside Great Lakes Bay Health Center

    Body found outside Great Lakes Bay Health Center

    Saturday, May 27 2017 5:04 PM EDT2017-05-27 21:04:05 GMT

    The body of a man has been found in Saginaw Saturday afternoon. 

    More >

    The body of a man has been found in Saginaw Saturday afternoon. 

    More >
  • Ben Stiller and wife Christine Taylor announce separation

    Ben Stiller and wife Christine Taylor announce separation

    Saturday, May 27 2017 4:55 PM EDT2017-05-27 20:55:41 GMT
    Ben Stiller and his wife of 17 years say they are separating.    Stiller and actress Christine Taylor released a joint statement Friday announcing their breakup. The pair has been a couple for 18 years and married in May 2000. They have two children together.    The actors wrote that their priority is raising their two children and requested privacy.    Taylor has appeared in several of Stiller's films, including "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story,&qu...More >
    Ben Stiller and his wife of 17 years say they are separating.    Stiller and actress Christine Taylor released a joint statement Friday announcing their breakup. The pair has been a couple for 18 years and married in May 2000. They have two children together.    The actors wrote that their priority is raising their two children and requested privacy.    Taylor has appeared in several of Stiller's films, including "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story,&qu...More >
  • Woman critically injured in home invasion

    Woman critically injured in home invasion

    Friday, May 26 2017 11:52 PM EDT2017-05-27 03:52:30 GMT

    Michigan State Police officers responded Friday evening to a home invasion with serious injuries.

    More >

    Michigan State Police officers responded Friday evening to a home invasion with serious injuries.

    More >
Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.