Michigan man hospitalized after welding explosion - WNEM TV 5

Michigan man hospitalized after welding explosion

Posted: Updated:

A Grand Rapids-area man has been hospitalized after his welding project on top of an oil drum caused an explosion.

Orleans Township Fire Chief Leslie Doty tells the Grand Rapids Press the man was trying to build a lawn roller Sunday and was welding on a 55-gallon drum in his garage.

Doty says sparks from welding ignited fuel residue in the drum, which caused the explosion. The top of the barrel flew through the wooden garage.

The man was burned on his arms and face. He extinguished a small fire on the garage door before authorities arrived.

He was taken to an area hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.

Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.