Local family loses home, possessions to fire early Sunday mornin - WNEM TV 5

Local family loses home, possessions to fire early Sunday morning

Posted: Updated:

Flames forced the Barnes family out of their west side Saginaw home just after midnight on Sunday, July 5.

“The first thing I could think about was running through the house and see where the fire was coming from,” said Omar Barnes. “So when I found out where it was coming from I ran back in the house to make sure everybody was out."

Omar and Sara Barnes, their three children aged 18, 13 and 9 along with several family pets managed to get out okay. 

But the Barnes didn't have renters insurance, the fire and smoke destroyed most of their possessions.

"Everything in the kitchen is gone, and everything in the back, washer, dryer, freezer, everything's gone," Sara Barnes said.

Omar said, “The clothes all got smoke damage, we've got kids, they can't be wearing that type of stuff...we tried to clean them up. They also need shoes, they got wet, had to throw some of them out, need a couple of pairs of shoes."

Investigators tell the Barnes that fireworks set off in the neighborhood probably started the blaze in the attic.

Omar's boss gave him the day off so he and Sara can find a new place to live.

Despite this fire the Barnes say they like this neighborhood, they wouldn't mind living here again.

"It's going to be a tough time for a few days for us, we're already expecting that so we're already going through that right now, we're going to make something happen, we're going to do something right now," Omar Barnes said.

A go-fund-me account has been set up if anyone would like to donate to help the family. Click here for that.

Copyright 2015 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.