Jurors are hearing closing arguments in western Michigan in the murder trial of a 13-year-old boy who fatally stabbed a 9-year-old boy at a playground.
There's no dispute that the boy killed Michael Connor Verkerke last summer in Kentwood, near Grand Rapids. But defense attorney Charles Boekeloo said Thursday the boy had been abused for years, which affected his mental health.
He says his client shouldn't be held criminally responsible.
But prosecutor Kevin Bramble told jurors that the killing was planned for months and the boy knew what he did was wrong because he called 911.
The Associated Press isn't naming the defendant because of his age. He was 12 at the time and is designated as an adult in the juvenile court system.
Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved.