Family's turkey smoker catches fire - WNEM TV 5

Family's turkey smoker catches fire

Posted: Updated:
SAGINAW, MI (WNEM) -

Autumn Turner is happy to be alive after a grease fire started in her grandmother's garage about 7 a.m. on Thanksgiving.

"I thank my big sisters for watching after me, and making sure I made my way out the house," Turner said.

Eight people were inside the home on Bethany Street, including five children, when her uncle, Lester White, noticed an unusual odor. 

"And I just kept smelling something that didn't smell right, and I mentioned it out loud. My mom, she went out and looked in the garage and seen a lot of smoke, followed by a lot of flames," Lester White said.

Lester White and his brother, Mark White, didn't waste any time.

"We were trying to get everybody out the house, because you know lives cannot be replaced. A turkey and a smoker can be replaced anytime," Mark White said.

The family said old grease was the cause of the fire.

"So I proceed back in the house, and got a pan of water. Put the fire out and came back out," Mark White said.

The fire was already out when firefighters arrived.

However, emergency personnel warn against using water on grease fires. It’s best to smother a grease fire by using a lid to choke it out or use baking soda for a similar effect.

For now, the White family has another reason to give thanks.

"It just makes family appreciate each other more, because you just never know when it could be the last one," Lester White said.

Copyright 2015 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.