Multiple people sickened by carbon monoxide exposure - WNEM TV 5

Multiple people sickened by carbon monoxide exposure

Posted: Updated:
MT. PLEASANT, MI (WNEM) -

Multiple people sickened after carbon monoxide exposure at a Mid-Michigan theatre.

The Mt. Pleasant Fire Department was called to Broadway Theatre in Mt. Pleasant on Dec. 2 after dozens of people complained of flu-like symptoms.

Air samples were taken, and recorded 80 parts per million of carbon monoxide. According to the U.S. Consumer and Product Safety Commission, levels over 70 parts per million are considered dangerous.

The building was evacuated, and DTE energy workers found that a furnace was not working correctly.

The natural gas was shut off, and the building was ventilated.

Broadway Theatre announced on their Facebook page that Friday's performance was canceled, and the other performances for the weekend were moved to Mt. Pleasant High School.

The Celebration of Christmas will be performed on Saturday December 5th at 2:00 pm and 7:30 pm, and Sunday, December 6th at 2:00 pm. on the high school stage.

People who bought tickets for the Friday evening performance that has been cancelled may use them for any other performance over the remaining two weekends.

The cause of the buildup is still under investigation.

Copyright 2015 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.