Family loses everything in New Year's Day fire - WNEM TV 5

Family loses everything in New Year's Day fire

Posted: Updated:
ESSEXVILLE, MI (WNEM) -

Ernie Galan III and little Ernie IV thought they we would be starting the New Year off pretty well.

"Everything was just ruined," said Galan.

Little Ernie has Jarcho-Levin Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that causes skeletal deformities and respiratory issues. Fortunately, he was getting treated and was on the right track.

But then a fire at their Bay County home destroyed everything.

"Even my new stuff that I got for Christmas. Even the stuff that was not even opened yet," said Ernie IV.

Galan said it was furnace that caused the home to go up in smoke.

Little Ernie's medical supplies were destroyed during the blaze.

While insurance will cover some of that, all of his medications and toys have been reduced to ash.

In fact, it's a simple board games he's missing the most.

So while little Ernie waits for his family to pick up the pieces, his father has a message for the community who has already rallied around to help get them back on their feet.

"I've seen so much more just selflessness and generosity in the past few days than I've ever seen in my entire life. It's just absolutely amazing. Just amazing," Galan said.

And if you're looking to help, the family has set up a GoFundMe page for people to donate.

Copyright 2016 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.