School districts call off school for snow on student count day - WNEM TV 5

School districts call off school for snow on student count day

Posted: Updated:
Credit: WNEM Credit: WNEM
BIRCH RUN, MI (WNEM) -

It's school count day in Michigan, but in dozens of schools classrooms are empty.

Several districts called a snow day following a heavy band of snow on Monday and Tuesday.

While some students are enjoying the day off, David Bush, superintendent at birch run schools, said the count day can easily be made up.

“For all schools that run into a situation which you have inclement weather or you have poor road conditions, your next full student day then becomes you student count day,” Bush said.

More than 100 schools across Mid-Michigan had a snow day and will likely make up count day on Thursday.

“Once you reschedule a day all the other rules apply so we don't have any concerns about the lost revenue or anything like that. We’ll be able to count all our students that are on our rolls,” Bush said.

This count day makes up 10 percent of schools funding, the first count day in the fall makes up the other 90 percent.

Bush said if students are absent on count day, they can still be counted.

“We have 10 days for the students if they're sick or out because of vacations or for another other reason they have 10 days to show up in attendance and you can count those students," Bush said.

Copyright 2016 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.