Community grieves the void left in the deaths of family of 6 in - WNEM TV 5

Community grieves the void left in the deaths of family of 6 in home

Posted: Updated:
(Source: WNEM) (Source: WNEM)
Quasarano family. Source: Family members Quasarano family. Source: Family members

A family of six was found dead inside a home in Fenton Township on Sunday, Feb. 21.

Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell said officials suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.  

"The undersheriff he had already seen all six bodies and he called me on the phone and he said this is just horrific," Pickell said.

The Quasarano family consisted of two parents, Leonard and Heather, and their four children: Luke, 11, Brenden, 9, Rachel, 7, and Grant, 2. 

He said the home, on Stony Brook Pass, lost power at around 9:30 p.m. Friday night.  Pickell says the family returned from a family movie night at their church, and when they discovered the power was out, the father told neighbors he was going to hook up a generator. A receipt from a hardware store shows the father made a purchase at 10:06 p.m. on Friday.

A family member gained entry to the house on Sunday through the back door and discovered the bodies in different rooms throughout the house. A generator was found running inside the house in the lower level family room.

The father's body was found next to the generator.

The mother's body found was with the 2-year-old son in the child's bedroom.

The other children were found in various parts of the home.

"And the body bags are coming out. You know the father, the mother, and the daughter, the son, the son, the son. I mean how much can one family take?" Pickell said.

Autopsies are underway, but officials say they believe this is just a tragic accident. Pickell said there was not a carbon monoxide detector in the home.

"It appears that the carbon monoxide that's odorless, colorless. That they're dropping in their spot," Pickell said.

Pickell said the images of the tragedy will stay with him for a very long time.

"I got about an hour of sleep last night. I just kept seeing it," Pickell said.


Neighbors say the family was well-known, and well respected in the community. 

Daniel Patz is the pastor at Faith Baptist Church.

"You just feel sick," Patz said.

He said the Quasarano family was there on Friday for family movie night, taking in the flick Monsters University.

It would be the last time they would be seen alive. They died tragically in their home over the weekend, as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Our church is hurting. This community is hurting," Patz said.

Three of the victims – Luke, Brendon, and Rachel – all attended Linden Elementary School.

"What a tragedy. I mean it's just, how do you put it into words?" said Russ Ciesielski.

Ciesielski is interim superintendent for Linden schools. He said grief counselors were on hand Monday to assist students and staff dealing with the sudden loss. He said the Quasaranos were a fixture in the district.

"They were very involved with their students, with their children and their children's activities," Ciesielski said.

Patz said he is still trying to come to grips with the shocking event, and said the Quasaranos leave a void at the church that will never be filled.

"They were a family that were lively, energetic, and we're going to miss their presence and what that presence brought into people's lives," Patz said.

Patz said he'll rely on his faith to get him through this trying time.

"They didn't live with regrets. They lived to the fullest. To God," Patz said.

Family members have started a GoFundMe account to help with funeral costs. But stopped taking donations after more than $47,000 was raised. Surpassing their original goal of $35,000 in 18 hours.

Copyright 2016 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.