Explosion destroys house, spilled gasoline blamed - WNEM TV 5

Explosion destroys house, spilled gasoline blamed

Posted: Updated:
Image provided by Amy Reed Image provided by Amy Reed
BAY COUNTY, MI (WNEM) -

Supper time got interrupted for Janet Penn on Thursday night.

"We were in the kitchen, looking out the back window, we saw black smoke," Penn said.

Flames ripped through her neighbor's home on Midland Road a few miles west of Bay City.

And while on the phone with 911, an explosion rocked the neighborhood.

"Boom, boom, and then the electrical in the back was popping and smoking, it was kind of harry for a moment," Penn said.

Fire officials said a man was working on his motorcycle in the garage and spilled gas.

The gas fumes found their way to the pilot light on the hot water heater causing the explosion.

"Blew the garage door out, you can see the one panel is probably 40 feet away, kind of blew him out of it, he didn't get any injuries, kind of caught the front of his truck on fire, melted a little bit of siding on the neighbor's house too," said Monitor Township Fire Lt. Brian Bladecki.

Bladecki said by the time the fire trucks arrived, the fire had spread.

"But then it spread into the attic, and into the house, so," Bladecki said.

He said the house was a total loss.

The fire also damaged the man's truck.

Crews spent a couple hours on scene, extinguishing the flames.

Neighbors said it was a scary situation and they're glad it didn't turn out worse.

"It moved real fast, yeah," Penn said.

Copyright 2016 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.