Man found dead, rumors about circumstances spread - WNEM TV 5


Man found dead, rumors about circumstances spread

Posted: Updated:
Photo provided by Lynn Allen Photo provided by Lynn Allen

"My dad didn't want nobody else to help him. And that's another thing I'll have to live with for the rest of my life," Lynn Allen said.

With tears streaming down her face, Allen described the agony her family has gone through since her father, 70 year-old Stanley Harhala, was found dead in his home on March 30.

But it's what she found out on April 13 that has her even more in shock.

"My dad's dog did not chew or tear his arm off," Allen said.

Hampton Township police said Harhala apparently had fallen from his wheelchair and had been dead for a while when they found him.

Police said his left arm was missing and bone fragments were found in the home. They assumed his arm was eaten by his dog Raven, but his daughter said that didn't happen.

"I didn't see anything with that intense to what they've said," Allen said.

Allen said when she got to the home, she didn't see any blood anywhere and her father's body appeared to be intact.

She said no one from the police department told her anything different.

"People need to stop talking unless they know for a fact what's going on," Allen said.

The circumstances about Harhala's death were described to TV5 by Chief Gerald Runde on Wednesday afternoon.

Allen said for now her devastation will continue until she has more questions answered.

"Why would someone say it happened, if it didn’t happen," Allen said. "If they're just going to wait two weeks and then spew it for everyone else to hear and read. And if it's a lie, it's wrong."

After speaking with the family, TV5 attempted to reach him again to clear up the confusion. Runde stands by his previous statements.

Hampton Township Police provided TV5 with the police report from Harhala's death, including a description of his body.

Upon entry to the home the body of Mr. Harhala's decomposed body was visible in the living room. He was lying on his back [and] it appeared he may have either fallen out of his wheel chair or fell as he got out of it. Mr. Harhala's left arm was missing. It had been tom from the body [and] apparently been eaten by the dog whose name is Raven. There were several small bones close to the body that had been cleaned off. They appeared to be bones left from the arm.

The police report did not give any indication or guess how long Harhala had been dead, but it did note police had been called because a caregiver had stopped by the home two weeks ago and did not receive a response. 

Police were later called by a property manager after Harhala hadn't taken his trash out to the curb.

Copyright 2016 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.