Officials say a gas leak forced the evacuation of more than 1,000 students from two schools in western Michigan.
No injuries were reported.
Reeths-Puffer Schools Superintendent Steve Edwards says students and staff were evacuated Monday morning from Central Elementary and Reeths-Puffer Middle School in Muskegon County. He tells The Muskegon Chronicle a lawnmower may have broken a gas line.
Edwards says students were evacuated to soccer fields located behind the elementary school. They returned to their school buildings after the leak was repaired and utility DTE Energy and fire department officials verified that the air quality was safe.
Copyright 2016 Associated Press. All rights reserved.