Cat named Rick Ross rescued from apartment fire - WNEM TV 5

Cat named Rick Ross rescued from apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
Source: WNEM Source: WNEM

A fire broke out at a Mid-Michigan apartment complex and firefighters rushed to rescue the people and pets inside.

It happened at the Thornridge Apartments in Grand Blanc.

Fire Chief Robert Burdette said the fire started on the second floor balcony, spread inside and up to the third floor.

A cat named Rick Ross was saved from the fire. He was home alone when the other side of the building caught fire.

"We were at work and we got a phone call about a fire from one of our friends," said Travis Knight, Ross' owner. "I was nervous because the cat was in there. I mean, he's part of the family."

Knight said he feared the worse. He rushed home and arrived to see the damage done to two apartments, not knowing if his feline was OK.

"We got here and I asked them, I live on the other side can I go in and get the cat. Wanted to go get him and asked if it was OK, then I described him and they said they got him," Knight said.

Knight watched as the firefights carried Ross out of the building.

"I saw him and I started running like he was a kid," Knight said. "They had to knock the door down because we weren't there to answer. So they knocked it down to make sure no one was in there."

The chief said there were other animals in rooms, but they all got out safe. Burdette said it's protocol to go through the building and make sure nobody, including pets, are inside.

"We will try the doors first, but if not, we'll break them in," he said.

Burdette said the sprinkler system inside helped them out as well. It helped prevent the fire from spreading more than it did.

Copyright 2016 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.