Firefighters offer fire safety tips - WNEM TV 5

Firefighters offer fire safety tips

Posted: Updated:
GENESEE COUNTY, MI (WNEM) -

A community is mourning the death of a 9-year-old boy this week after he died in a Genesee Township house fire.

Investigators said the fire started on the couch in the boy's living room. They said an adult in the home tried to drag the couch outside, something fire officials said can be a fatal mistake.

"If you get it stuck in the structure or stuck in the doorway or a window, that's possibly your way of getting out. So you can find yourself trapped inside the structure," Flint Fire Chief Raymond Barton said.

The Flint Fire Department gave a demonstration on Tuesday about the dos and don'ts of fire safety, beginning in the living room.

"The matches and lighters, put them away," said Carrie Edwards-Clemons.

Officials said if you are upstairs to stay as low as you can and crawl to the door because the cleaner air will be down below. Feel the door with the back of your hand. If the door is hot, do not open the door because the fire is on the other side.

Clemons offered some safety tips for inside the kitchen.

"Not having paper towels near the stove, turning in your pot handles so that you don't knock any food over, staying in the kitchen until you are done cooking," she said.

Firefighters said one of the most important things to do is to leave the home, have a meeting place outside and get there. They also said if you make it out, but a loved one is inside to stay outside and tell firefighters where you last saw that person.

Copyright 2016 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.