Electric company restores family's power for free - WNEM TV 5

Electric company restores family's power for free

Posted: Updated:
(Source: WNEM) (Source: WNEM)
(Courtesy: Rashell Brock) (Courtesy: Rashell Brock)
MID-MICHIGAN (WNEM) -

An electric company restored a Mid-Michigan family's power for free after it was shut off without warning.

Rashell Brock has her home decorated for the holidays, but her Christmas spirit was running on fumes. Her power was shut off by Consumers Energy with no warning. Her and her family had to rely on a generator to keep warm.

"I'm doing everything I can and it's not good enough and it's not fast enough," Brock said.

The mother of two said it's hard to cope with her home powered by only a generator. The nightmare started last Thursday when a Consumers Energy employee cut power to the home.

"He took the meter and left. Didn't tell me what was going on. I just kind of stood here in disbelief. He didn't come to my door or anything," Brock said.

The worker never came back. When Brock called Consumers Energy they told her the meter box was overloaded and there were signs of trouble.

"We found that around the base of the meter there was evidence of burn marks," Consumers spokesperson Debra Dodd said.

Dodd said Brock had a smart meter and it sent a warning to Consumers of a potential overload. Dodd said meter removal due to safety issues is very rare and in this situation it had to be done until repairs were made to the home's wiring.

"We had to do that. We can't leave a potentially unsafe situation like that," Dodd said.

Brock said the surprise has led to financial problems. She said she and her husband are using $45 in gas to run the generator each day. Before the power could be restored they would have to rewire the meter box, a process that requires a township permit and inspection.

"We found out what we had to do to fix this as fast as we could, but unfortunately it's not such a fast fix and it's a pricey fix," Brock said.

Consumers said once that fix is made the power will be restored immediately.

Wilson Electric, based in Davison, saw Brock's story on TV5 and came to the rescue.

Mark Wilson went to Brock's house and made the necessary repairs for free. Another company, McNaughton McKay Electric donated the materials.

"I've needed help over the years and I know how it is to be in that situation and not knowing what to do," Wilson said.

Brock said Wilson was a miracle worker.

"You are an angel in disguise. You are, you're an angel," she said.

Consumers expedited the process to turn Brock's power back on. They also said they would credit the family's account $50 each day to cover of the cost of the generator.

Copyright 2016 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.