Jury awards $5M to man injured in food truck explosion - WNEM TV 5

Jury awards $5M to man injured in food truck explosion

Posted: Updated:
Stock photo Stock photo
TRAVERSE CITY, MI (AP) -

A jury has awarded $5 million to a man who was injured during a food truck explosion at a northern Michigan festival.

The Traverse City Record-Eagle reports Gary Leonard was burned on nearly half his body following the June 8, 2013 explosion, which happened after he struck a lighter inside the truck at the Leelanau Peninsula Wine, Food & Music Festival.

Leelanau County jurors last week ruled in his favor. His attorney Paul Janes said the trial focused on mechanical faults in the food truck, which was owned by Leonard's sister. The lawsuit said propane cylinders installed in 2008 weren't properly maintained.

An insurance company had disputed a claim for medical costs. Scott Fanzini, who represented the defendants, says the award was a disappointment and they're "exploring all options."

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.