No criminal charges in Michigan hotel pool CO poisoning - WNEM TV 5

No criminal charges in Michigan hotel pool CO poisoning

Posted: Updated:
Stock photo Stock photo
NILES, MI (AP) -

A prosecutor has decided no criminal charges will be sought in the carbon monoxide poisoning death of a 13-year-old boy in the pool area of a southwestern Michigan hotel.

Berrien County Prosecutor Michael Sepic said Thursday that negligence may have played a role in the April 1 death of Bryan Watts at the Niles Quality Inn & Suites, but it did not meet the definition of gross negligence necessary for a criminal charge.

Sepic says the poisoning likely resulted from a pool heater ventilation pipe disconnecting from the heater, causing carbon monoxide to leak into a maintenance room and be vented into the pool area.

About 10 other people, mostly children, required hospital treatment after being sickened by the carbon monoxide.

Copyright 2017 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.