Officer stabbed in Bishop terror attack released from hospital, - WNEM TV 5

Officer stabbed in Bishop terror attack released from hospital, gofundme account created

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy: Mark Young Courtesy: Mark Young
Courtesy: Herman Ferguson Courtesy: Herman Ferguson

An officer who was stabbed at a local airport has been released from the hospital.

Lt. Jeff Neville was released from Hurley Medical Center on Monday following Wednesday’s terror attack at Bishop International Airport.

Doctors said he suffered a massive 12-inch gash on the side of his neck. It took at least 50 stitches to close the wound.

Neville should make a full recovery in the next six to eight weeks, doctors said. 

Genesee County Commissioner Mark Young posted on Facebook after visiting with Neville. He said the hero missed his morning Tim Horton’s coffee, so they brought him a special surprise. 

Neville was seen posing in front of a prayer wall from Bay City.  

Now a gofundme account has been set-up to help with expenses tied to his recovery. Find the link here.

"Whew, Jeff's a hero," Young said. "It's a guy who had his throat cut open front to back and continued fighting."

Meanwhile, Bishop International Airport's Police Chief Christopher Miller is missing his second in command.

"I cannot do this job by myself," Miller said.

All three men retired from the Genesee County Sheriff's Office and share a bond that makes last week's attack hit home in a way they never imagined.

Doctors said the knife barely missed a main artery by millimeters.

"He's going to be OK," Miller said.

The man suspected of stabbing him, Amor Ftouhi, will be back in court on Wednesday. He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted. He could face additional charges.

Young said it's possible Neville stopped Ftouhi from causing even more harm.

"There's no telling how many people's lives he saved that day by continuing to fight," Young said.

The FBI said Ftouhi has a hatred for the United States and launched a terrorism investigation.

Young said members of Flint's Islamic community reached out to separate themselves from Ftouhi's actions.

"And Jeff knows that's not Islam. That's not what Islam is about. That's crazy people," Young said.

Miller recently spoke to Neville over the phone. He said he looks forward to Neville's recovery and return to the airport police force.

"He said, 'Chief, I got this.' He said, 'I got this,'" Miller said.

Miller said the last time he had a day like June 21, was more than 15 years ago on Sept. 11, 2001.

"This really hits close to home because this is one of my own," Miller said. "We didn't know if he was by himself. We didn't know if he had an IED planted somewhere."

Miller was the one who handcuffed Ftouhi seconds into the attack.

"I weight 250 pounds and I got on top of him and I made sure he didn't get up," miller said.

In addition to saving Neville's life, Miller had other priorities that morning that included preserving a crime scene and evacuating a main terminal.

"I've actually had some people say to me, 'Well chief, why didn't you shoot him?' Well, that was not an option at the time. We don't just shoot people," Miller said.

He said he had a lot of help the day of the incident. There's also an airport maintenance worker who rushed to Neville's aid.

"In a hand-to-hand combat situation, you know, close quarters, you're talking 2 to 3 feet away from one another. There was no time to draw the gun," Miller said.

Copyright 2017 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.