Michigan Capitol closed when electrical failure causes smoke - WNEM TV 5

Michigan Capitol closed when electrical failure causes smoke

Posted: Updated:
LANSING, MI (AP) -

An electrical failure that led to sparking and smoke in a closet has closed Michigan's Capitol building for the day.

Capitol facilities director Robert Blackshaw says the Capitol was evacuated Friday morning and is scheduled to reopen as normal on Monday. He says staff reacted quickly so no water was released from the fire suppression system.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation.

The cause of the electrical failure was a transformer that Blackshaw says is being replaced. Tests will be conducted to make sure only the transformer was the issue.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.