SVSU students treated after experiencing skin reaction to chemic - WNEM TV 5

SVSU students treated after experiencing skin reaction to chemical in lab

Posted: Updated:
(Source: WNEM) (Source: WNEM)
SAGINAW COUNTY, MI (WNEM) -

Saginaw Valley State University students were treated Tuesday afternoon after they experienced a skin reaction to a chemical in a lab class.

It happened about 1:45 p.m. in a chemistry lab in the Herbert Dow Doan Science Building on campus.

The first student showed symptoms at that time and was transported for medical treatment, SVSU spokesperson J.J. Boehm said.

About an hour later, three other students showed similar symptoms. Those students were offered medical treatment.

The symptoms included a skin irritation between the wrist and elbow.

The reaction was from a substance in one of the chemistry labs on campus called phenol, also known as carbolic acid.

There were nine students and a professor in the lab when the incident occurred, Boehm said. They were all wearing safety equipment including gloves and goggles.

The nine students were taken to the hospital to be checked out, with four of them showing signs of irritation. None of them were admitted.

Emergency crews were at SVSU for a few hours after the incident happened.

An investigation is underway.

Copyright 2017 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.