Principal: Gladwin Schools safe after threat reportedly made on - WNEM TV 5

Principal: Gladwin Schools safe after threat reportedly made on Snapchat

Posted: Updated:

The Gladwin High School principal told parents it was completely safe to send their child to school Friday after an alleged threat was made on social media. 

Our CBS affiliates at 9 & 10 News report the message comes after several people claimed a threat was made to the high school on Snapchat. 

A recorded message was sent out to parents Thursday night saying it is safe to send your child to school:

“This is Dave Beyer principal of Gladwin High School. I’m calling you to address concerns that are rising on various social media platforms such as Facebook due to one of our students making some poor choices today. I want to assure you that the administrative team along with law local enforcement have thoroughly investigated this and we assure you that it’s safe for your child to attend school tomorrow. Your child safety is paramount to us. Once again it is completely safe to attend GHS tomorrow. Thanks.”

Gladwin City Police report the department is currently investigating threats that may involve Gladwin High School. They are asking if anyone has a child that has actually heard a threat, or was sent a threat via social media, to contact them. 

The department went on to say there are many rumors on social media regarding the incident, but as of 10 a.m. on Friday there was no evidence of a threat.

If you have any information, call the department at 989-426-7879.

Nearly a fifth of the students at Gladwin High School did not show up for class on Friday because of the alleged threat.

"Yesterday the kid brought a crowbar to school, wanted to beat another kid with a crowbar," said Samantha Martin, parent.

The superintendent said police investigated the threats and said they aren't true.

"We take things very seriously here. We have turned up nothing of the sort that should alarm us or allow us to believe the kids are in any imminent danger," Gladwin Superintendent Rick Seebeck said.

Seebeck said two students did get into a fight and one allegedly made a minor threat that was blown out of proportion.

"There's a lot that has been posted that isn't accurate or not true and there's people that take it as gospel," Seebeck said.

He said he sent out a phone call to parents on Thursday to clear the air, but the number of absences on Friday showed the kids still didn't feel safe at school.

"It's disappointing to me. I don't like to see tumors take control of a situation," Seeback said.

He said he will send out another phone call to the entire district to update parents and students that the situation is safe.

Copyright 2017 WNEM (Meredith Corporation) / 9 & 10 News. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.