Vietnam veteran dies in house fire - WNEM TV 5

Vietnam veteran dies in house fire

Posted: Updated:
Source: WNEM Source: WNEM
Source: WNEM Source: WNEM
GENESEE COUNTY, MI (WNEM) -

A Vietnam veteran has died after a house fire in Mid-Michigan. 

Multiple fire departments were called about 1:14 p.m. to 8010 E. Mt. Morris Road in Genesee County’s Richfield Township on Thursday afternoon.

The Davison assistant fire chief said four people tried to rescue the man, but none were successful.

"On the outside he was a grizzly bear, but on the inside he was a teddy bear," said Alisha Hensley, victim's daughter.

That man was 69-year-old Hubert "Butch" Hensley.

"My dad was the best dad anybody could ever have," Alisha said. "He fought in Vietnam. He was the strongest man you'll ever meet."

He was a father, a fighter and he was loved.

"He definitely loved his family and we loved him," Alisha said.

His sister-in-law, Lisa Burgos, said he was 70-years-old.

"Devastated and shocked. It's Christmas time. We've had so many deaths in our family at Christmas," Burgos said.

Butch used a walker and had a hard time getting around. His wife and son rushed into the flaming, smoky home to try to save him.

"And they couldn't. Smoke was too bad. And flames were all over and they had to pull my sister and my nephew out to keep them from not making it," Burgos said.

Butch's wife is in the hospital and their daughter Alisha is heartbroken.

"Prayers, that's what I ask for. That she's gonna make it through and my brother will be OK," Alisha said.

The investigation into the fire is ongoing.

Copyright 2017 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
WNEM
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.