Man suffers burns after E-cig explodes in his pocket - WNEM TV 5

Man suffers burns after E-cig explodes in his pocket

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy photo Courtesy photo

Recent studies show vaping and E-cigarettes have become quite popular with younger generations, especially teenagers.

One Mid-Michigan man is warning about the potential dangers, not just to the inside of the body but to the outside as well.

The Saginaw man was at work when his E-cigarette exploded in his pocket causing severe burns all down his leg.

"I can't believe it actually happened to me," Michael Perez said. "Big explosion. A giant fireball was bursting out of my pocket."

The source of that explosion was an E-cigarette battery that was in his pocket.

The E-cigarette put a hole straight through Perez's pants and down his leg.

Perez said he tried to grab the E-cigarette out of his pocket, but it was too late. The explosion left him with second and third-degree burns on his legs.

>>Slideshow: Photos of the burns<<

"Eventually I just ended up ripping my jeans off because I kept feeling myself being burned," Perez said.

He said he thought he was taking the right safety precautions when it came to handling the E-cigarette and he is confused as to why it exploded.

"I always take good care of them. So I never ever had a problem with my E-cig before," Perez said.

TV5 reached out to the manufacturer who made Perez's E-cigarette, but have not heard back.

Perez said he won't be using and E-cigarette again.

"If you really want one, I'm not going to tell you not to do it. Just be very careful," he said.

Experts said the lithium-ion battery inside vaping devices carry about 20 percent of the power of TNT weighing the same amount.

Copyright 2017 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WNEM; Saginaw, MI. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.